Saturday 8th September 2012 – Day 27

Whitbeck (Nr Millom) – Yealand Storrs (North of Carnforth)

82.18 miles

3741 feet climbed

3671 calories burnt

Today was definitely a day of two distinct halves! We woke to horrific mist and went to sleep under a clear sky. It made such a difference in the afternoon cycling under the heat of the sun for once!

We set off just after 8:30am from our lay-by on the A595, heading south for Millom. The mist was well and truly set in, it wasn’t nice cycling with poor visibility on the roads and I tried not to think about how little the car drivers could see of me!

After Millom, whilst cycling along the A595 we turned back north and had quite a number of undulations to cover. One included a sharp ascent through an aptly named village called ‘The Hill’. We kept cycling north until Duddon Bridge, where we went east for a short while, then back down south heading for Barrow-in-Furness.

We were pleasantly surprised by the number of cycle tracks in Barrow-in-Furness, it just seemed strange though because half the population looked as though they wouldn’t know what a bike looked like. Needless to say, we didn’t see another cyclist on them, so we had free reign – which we didn’t complain about. We stopped off at an Asda whilst in Barrow for a pit stop and some fuel, before heading back north again.

Ulverston was our next stop and this was for lunch. We managed to find a little tearoom on a back street out of the way for a quiet bit to eat. The motorhome was having a rest day, so Harry and Mum had gone ahead to find an evening spot so they could have some time ‘off-duty’. Over lunch the mist had cleared, so we set off around 1:00pm out of Ulverston, passing what looked like a lighthouse on a hill looking over the town.

The A590 road heading out of Ulverston was admittedly the worst road I have cycled on so far on this trip, so I was glad to get off it! We managed to shadow it, until we had to hit the A6 to head south. Dad was expecting carnage on the A6 but we were pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was, plus we only had three miles to tackle so it was over before it started.

We came of the A6 at Milnthorpe, and by that time the days journey was almost over… or so we thought! Long story short, as we had been without the motorhome all day, both my dad’s phone battery and mine had died, so although we had a postcode for where the motorhome was, we couldn’t confirm that it was correct (because it was two miles off the course we thought it might be wrong).  We asked about 10 locals that we accosted in the area and none had heard of the ‘Bowfoot Farm’ we were meant to be camping on, so we stuck to our guns and just followed the postcode. It took us an extra hour and a quarter but we found them in the end… on BROWFOOT FARM.

Dinner was another feast courtesy of Harry, ribs and brown rice! Even Jasper now gets to eat Harry’s rice! After dinner we had cows herding round the field we were camped in, so we went and fed them some grass. We still don’t have any television, internet, or phone signal – so after showering we all went to bed!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s