Photographs – Day 3 – Wednesday 15th August

Wednesday 15th August 2012 – Day 3

Scremerston (outside Berwick-upon-Tweed) – Dalgety Bay (just outside Abedour)

95.59 miles

3773 feet climbed

3791 calories burnt

Cumulative miles cycled round the coast = 242.58 miles

Please remember that Kirsty Medlock and her Dad, Stephen are cycling the 4,400 miles round the coast of Britain to raise £10,000 for Clifton’s Children Society (CCS) Adoption, the agency that facilitated an adoption for family friends. Please follow this link to donate as much as you can

Many, many thanks in advance!

Diary – Day 3

After we set up camp last night, along a very quiet road – we were confronted by a duo that said we could not stay their overnight.  Because of this, we ended up in a lay-by off the A1, just outside of Scremeston.  Don’t worry – it wasn’t a grubby as you might think, we had a lorry park up behind us so it was safe!

We woke up around 6:30am, I had a good night’s sleep, slept through from 11:30pm! After breakfast, Dad and I worked out what we should wear for the day, bearing in mind it was forecast to rain later and already misty! We opted for usual clothes but added on ‘arms’ and over socks.  As it was misty, we also stuck on some backlights so we could be spotted.  They’re not super snazzy lights, just one’s that run off batteries, so if they go flat we can just swap out the batteries.

On setting off, not only did we have to rejoin the course, we had to do the last 6 miles of Day 2’s route to get us to Berwick-upon-Tweed. On getting to Berwick, we had to stop and log off one course on the Garmin and then load the next route. We used to plot the route and I mapped each individual section of the ride. Once mapped, I saved each Day (approx 70 miles/day) as a tcx file ready to upload to the Garmin.

As the mist was very bad, with visibility down to about 20ft there was nothing really to see over the course. In the morning we crossed back and forth over the A1 and main railway, spotting lots of road kill and stumbling on a huge goose farm.  We also tracked part of the NCN76, which was much better than Route 1.

We had agreed to meet Harry and my Mum for lunch at Dunbar, and they managed to find Dunbar Camping & Caravan site.  They met with the owner who said we could park up and replenish all of the water etc for the motor home.  We arrived, had some more awesome food, courtesy of Harry (tuna and cucumber sandwiches, more cake and lots of tea!) Once lunch was over, I took advantage of the facilities and quickly had a shower at the campsite – thank you Dunbar C&C site!

Over lunch the mist had cleared slightly so we pushed off with the same kit on (little did we know what would happen!). We started heading in land, so we could hit Leigh, where we thought we might be able to park up. Harry and Mum couldn’t find anything, so they had to carry on over the Forth Bridge and round to half way between Dalgety Bay and Aberdour, where we are sleeping tonight.

We hit Leigh (North of Edinburgh) at 5:00pm, needless to say people had just finished work and were rushing home, forgetting their road manors.  I was pulled out in front of, had a learner driver practically park on my shoulder and then a 4×4 waited for a tractor to start passing us in the opposite direction and then decided to overtake us! Oh well, what can we expect – as long as they are all close calls we can’t complain.

After Leigh we kept heading West and managed to find a suitable ‘pit stop’ it was great because every cyclist that went past stopped to check that we were ok, gotta love the Scottish cyclists – a hardy bunch out in all weather.  Just outside Queensferry we met a lady cyclist on the Route 1 cycle network, we were struggling where to meet the cycle path for the Forth Road Bridge.  She kindly cycled with us and pointed us in the right direction. When we left her, the weather turned, it started to hail and the wind picked up. Dad and I dug deep, found the cycle path over the bridge and started hammering away! To say it was a tad windy is a slight under statement, it felt as though the bike was horizontal! The rain or sleet or hail, what ever it was, felt like glass on my face and I think we averaged a snails pace!

Once over the bridge, we came off the cycle path that was shadowing the A90 and starting heading east on the B981 to take us back to the coast. A couple of miles in we found a cycle path that took us to a high path overhanging the North Sea.  It would have been wonderful had the sun been shining, but when you’re on your 90th mile and it’s torrential weather, you can’t really enjoy the view.  We then stumbled on a male cyclist, who was local to the area, again it was perfect timing.  Mum had text the motorhomes coordinates and this chap helped us find our way!

It was only two miles away after leaving the helpful cyclist but it felt like an eternity because it was still raining heavily and now there was a lot of laying water on the road.  Needless to say, the minute we spotted the motorhome, our spirits were lifted!

Harry and Mum excelled themselves again for dinner, steak pies with mash and veg – dinner of champions.  Harry even cracked out his brandy and we made some cocktails with it – life of blooming luxury! We’re all now tucked up in bed, ready to get some kip in before doing it all again!

I do just want to mention the many people that have sponsored us, we’re over £300 now – THANK YOU THANK YOU.  We also had a call from Gill, who we rented the Motorhome from (Seekers Motorhomes) and she let us know that we had an article in the Northern Echo today – lets hope that gets us even more support!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s