Photographs – Day 49 – Sunday 30th September

Sunday 30th September 2012 – Day 49

Marazion (just outside Penzance) – Tregony (North of St. Mawes)

62.52 miles

4328 feet climbed

2797 calories burnt

Cumulative miles cycled round the coast = 2,959.47 miles

Please remember that Kirsty Medlock and her Dad, Stephen are cycling the 4,400 miles round the coast of Britain to raise £10,000 for Clifton’s Children Society (CCS) Adoption, the agency that facilitated an adoption for family friends. Please follow this link to donate as much as you can

Many, many thanks in advance!

 Diary – Day 49

After a peaceful nights sleep for me, it was amazing to step out of the Motorhome to see St. Michael’s Mount out over in Mount’s Bay. We set off around 8:30am, the weather was in our favour again so we weren’t lumbered down with all of our wet weather gear. As we were setting off a chap who was also staying in the same lay-by approached Mum, it turned out that he’d had all of his fishing gear stolen (he left it unlocked outside his van, so it wasn’t that surprising) and he was checking to see whether we had seen anything.

Cycling off, it was nice to be on a clean bike, although I can feel it is suffering from the hammering it’s had over the last 3,000 miles. Dad and I headed east on the A394, all the way to Helston, where we would meet Bradley, my eldest brother who would be joining us for some miles today. It seems every morning we set off on busy A-roads, at least today was Sunday so it wasn’t too bad. As it was the weekend, we saw a load of cyclists on the A394, giving them all a knowing nod we pottled along the 10 miles to Helston relatively quickly.

On reaching Brad’s, the Motorhome pulled up at the same time, so we all had a quick chat before setting off again. It was only another 10 miles before we reached Lizard’s point, the most southerly point on the British mainland. Brad tried to lead the peloton, but as Dad and I have 3,000 miles in our legs, he was too much of a spring chicken – whizzing down the road at a rate of knots! We followed the A3083 all the way down to the Lizard, Brad said he’d never seen the road so busy, but the cars were courteous so we couldn’t complain. En route we passed both Culdrose and Predannack airfield other than that there wasn’t much to note!

On reaching Lizards point, it didn’t really feel that monumental, I guess because we’d already done Land’s End yesterday. We took the obligatory photograph, ate a flapjack and then headed back on the road we had come in on. Whilst cycling out, there must have been a sportive on, because there were suddenly hundreds of cyclists on the road racing past us! It wasn’t long before we were finding our way in to a little industrial estate for lunch in St. Keverne.

At lunch in St. Keverne we had lots of visitors, my brothers wife Kirsty and their children, plus her sister Terri and her daughter. Nice to see family on the trip, takes your mind away from the ride for a while and helps forget about the aching muscles. Unfortunately, lunch was over all too quickly and we had to get on our way again. Brad decided to cycle with us and leave us at Falmouth where we’d take the second ferry. From St Keverne it was only about six miles to River Helford, there were the usual ‘undulations’ but nothing as gut busting as we had a couple of days ago. On reaching Helford, we had to navigate through the windy roads of the town and find a tiny little path that lead to the ferry port. When we arrived at the landing area, there was a huge circle sign that had been flapped over, we had to open it to reveal a big yellow circle that beckoned the ferry from the other side. It was a petite boat, it barely fit in the three bikes and the nine passengers that were on board! This ferry cost £4.00 each and I think the bikes went free!

In between the Helford Ferry and Falmouth crossing we had about 6 miles to cycle. Somewhere in between there was a 25% climb, I had my new waterproof jacket on and nearly boiled to death over the ascent! Dad was starting to struggle here as he started to moan about the route I had plotted, because of the number of sharp climbs. It took me a month to plot the route before setting off, and it was incredibly difficult to plot blind, as I had no idea what the terrain/roads etc would be like, as I’d not cycled about 95% of the route. Unlike LEJOG/JOGLE there’s no set route and it’s not as simple as making sure you have the sea on your right (if you’re cycling ACW). If I was really stuck with a section, I would look at google maps and street view but I couldn’t do that for 4,400 miles so I did the best I could.

Brad tried to navigate us into Falmouth to find the ferry, but I think he realised it wasn’t as easy as it looked. His phone kept on crashing and then he wasn’t sure if we were going in the right direction so I took charge near the end and we got to the ferry. As Brad lives in Helston, he left Dad and I once we had boarded the ferry, he had about 15 miles to get home but he was heading into the wind all the way! The ferry was substantially larger than the one we had taken earlier, but it was still just for pedestrians.  It cost Dad and I £5.00 each for the crossing, it was rather rough but we made it across in one piece.

As we were crossing the ‘Carrick Roads’, it seemed that Dad was rather tired and I didn’t think we would be able to reach any where near our agreed destination of Mevagissey where the Motorhome was parked. If we had tried to do that, bearing in mind it was 5:00pm by the time we got off the ferry and another 20 odd miles to Mevagissey, we would have been cycling in the dark and Dad would have been even more pooped.

I made the decision to change the route and take the A3078 north directly out of St. Mawes and stay on it, instead of taking the country lanes closer to the coast.  Although it was a steep climb out of the port, it was better that doing the 15 mile detour round from Falmouth to St. Mawes via the A39 bridge. It’s been tough in parts, as Dad has been absolutely exhausted at times, as I have not wanted to leave him I’ve had to take certain routes that has meant we have not stuck as close to the coast as I had anticipated. I guess I can’t say anything until I’m 60 years old and doing something like this!

After ringing Mum and Harry to re-arrange the night’s destination, I managed to spot a lay-by where we could park the motorhome overnight whilst I was cycling along. Once they arrived, Mum and I whipped the bikes up on to the rack and got them covered, Harry started on dinner (corned and minced beef curry with brown rice, sounds strange but tasted AMAZING!) and Dad had a rest whilst looking at the route for tomorrow.

Other than that it was a quiet night, not much to do when you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere, in a motorhome, so we all went to bed at 9:30pm, so rock and roll!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s